Tech billionaire Peter Thiel is updating his Woodland Normanstone mansion with a $1.6 million renovation that involves two additions and scrapping an current pool for a new 1.
According to programs on line submitted to DCRA, the PayPal co-founder enlisted architects at Georgetown’s Barnes Vanze, which also managed Jeff Bezos’ D.C. renovation. Horizon Builders, who did Dan Snyder’s Potomac household, between other regional mega-household projects, is the basic contractor.
- New York-primarily based Paul Renwick Layout is doing the interiors.
A couple of reno highlights we gleaned from the options:
- Thiel is blowing out his main bedroom to generate additional of a suite, additionally introducing one more bedroom and tub for a complete of seven beds, six full and four fifty percent bathrooms.
- Many interior partitions are being torn down to reconfigure the home. There are garden, rec, and screening rooms, as well as a specified area for security and a workers lounge.
Capture up swift: The Beaux Arts mansion — which Thiel acquired from Trump’s commerce secretary Wilbur Ross for $13 million employing an LLC — gives the tech titan an above 6,000-sq.-foot residential footprint within the Beltway.
- A heavy hitter in conservative GOP fundraising circles and a longtime supporter of Donald Trump, Thiel is supporting multiple Trump-backed candidates in the midterms. His software company Palantir has an office environment in McLean and is closely included in governing administration work.
- Thiel’s new neighbors include previous Trump advisers Kellyanne Conway and Steven Mnuchin.
Of take note: Images submitted to DCRA exhibit the house had an old-income experience, with gilded chandeliers, a person home totally coated in red (which include the ceiling), and at minimum 1 rest room covered in green marble. Thiel is including some additional standard touches these kinds of as mahogany and French doors.
Zoom out: Thiel’s world-wide genuine estate portfolio has bundled households in California, Maui, and Miami (the latter sits on an distinctive guy-designed island). His options for a huge compound on 477 acres of land in New Zealand have been rejected by neighborhood officers very last month.
Editor’s observe: This story was corrected to replicate that Wilbur Ross was Trump’s commerce secretary, not labor secretary.